Browse by first letter of the job description
Please help us to keep this site free by liking us on Facebook. Click on the Facebook logo and click `like`-thanks
"The database of free job descriptions"
"I couldn`t put it down from start to finish...Some of these stories are fascinating, some sad and some just downright funny. I thoroughly recommended it anyone whether interested in Human Resources or not!"
"A really funny and interesting read .... great insight into the wierd and wonderful world of HR ..."
"Amusing and informative. A recommended read for anyone interested in a career in Human Resources. "
"Entertaining reading and one that anyone in the field of HR will be vale to instantly relate too! "
If you want an HR text book this book is probably not for you. If you want a unique insight into some of the weird and wonderful true stories that happened during a twenty year career in Human Resources it is.
"I couldn`t put it down from start to finish...these stories are fascinating, some sad and some just downright funny. I thoroughly recommended it whether interested in HR or not!"
free-job-descriptions.com provides a free database of job descriptions. Whether you are writing a job description, need to better understand a job, or are thinking abut your career, free-job-descriptions.com is for you
Job Description Mechanic
Under general direction performs testing, routine preventative maintenance, and repair work involving District apparatus, vehicles, equipment and tools. Responsible for maintenance facility (shop), fleet maintenance records, parts and tool inventory and performs related work.
All of the following are to be performed while adhering to policies, safety rules, protocols, and applicable state laws and procedures.
Test, Service, and Repair Vehicles And Equipment:
• Operate diagnostic instruments; hand, electric, and air driven tools.
• Perform complete periodic preventive maintenance and inspections of vehicles and equipment in accordance with district and manufacturer requirements and nationally recognized good practices.
• Perform all first and second echelon repair maintenance to vehicles and equipment in accordance with manufacturers’ requirements, district procedures and nationally recognized good practice.
• Repair brakes, engine, electrical, fuel, hydraulic, transmission, air, exhaust, and chassis, and drive train components, on fire engines, ladder truck and specialty vehicles.
• Perform repairs to all automotive components and systems including electrical, hydraulic, brake – drum and disc, and apply diagnostic procedures in the performance of such work.
In this case for public service vehicles
• Evaluate performance and perform repairs of pneumatic systems.
• Evaluate performance and perform repairs to both single and dual single and dual stage centrifugal pumps, valving and piping of pumps and components.
• Provide emergency field assistance and repair to disabled equipment and vehicles.
• Cutting, welding, fabricating and soldering applicable metals for reshaping commensurate with fire district needs with reference to light body repairs and/or rearrangement of certain district vehicles for better operations.
• Perform body repair and related work or arrange to send out.
• Maintain and repair small gas motors and other fire service tools and equipment.
Provide Preventive Maintenance:
• Test and adjust or replace parts.
• Schedule preventive maintenance.
• Analyze and inspect equipment and vehicles.
• Determine most cost effective maintenance or repair.
• Purchase parts and supplies for repair and maintenance in accordance with district policy, procedures and budget controls. • Assist in budget development to provide adequate inventory.
Minimum Essential Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Five (5) years minimum experience in repair and maintenance of diesel and gasoline powered automotive apparatus or related field.
• Ability to read, write, and speak in the English language.
• Ability to read and interpret detailed documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures manuals.
• Ability to clearly write reports and correspondence.
• Ability to effectively speak before groups.
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical solutions.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain by time or hire valid State Driver’s License without record of suspension of revocation in any state.
• • Automotive Service Excellence certification is desirable.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of automotive mechanics; considerable knowledge of gas and diesel engines, transmissions, hydraulics, and welding; price trends and grades of quality of material and equipment. Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to maintenance and repair activities; working knowledge of the practices, methods, material and tools used in modern equipment maintenance.
• Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective preventive maintenance programs, policies and procedures; ability to maintain effective accounting procedures; ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, vendors and the public.
• Working knowledge of applicable laws, ordinances, departmental standard operating procedures and regulations.
• Knowledge and application of modern management principles and practices.
• Skills in resolving conflict and gaining cooperation between competing interest groups.
• Basic knowledge of computer-related spreadsheet programs, word processing software, and electronic mail.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions but will not be made if the accommodation causes undue hardship on the district.
While performing the duties of this job:
• Employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
• Employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, taste, smell, lift, and twist.
• Employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, push and pull.
• Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required include close and distant vision, color and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job:
• Employee is regularly in close proximity to moving and mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals.
• Employee occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock, extreme cold, extreme heat and vibration.
• Employee is exposed to loud noise levels frequently.
• Employee is regularly exposed to repetitive motions.
• Research cost and maintain adequate parts inventory.
• Assist with other members of the District to create and prepare bid documents for purchase of apparatus and specialty vehicles.
• Maintain fleet records for vehicles and equipment. Initiate and maintain records of vehicle, equipment, tool repair and service expenditures. Maintain records of work performed and time requirement. Provide reports, surveys and justifications as needed.
• Perform repair and maintenance to station generators.
• Assess and communicate equipment and apparatus needs to Management.
• Attend all training assigned.
• Maintain skills necessary to maintain Emergency Vehicle Technician certifications.
• Deliver training as assigned to the level of certification