Browse by first letter of the job description
Please help us to keep this site free by liking us on Facebook. Click on the Facebook logo and click `like`-thanks
"The database of free job descriptions"
"I couldn`t put it down from start to finish...Some of these stories are fascinating, some sad and some just downright funny. I thoroughly recommended it anyone whether interested in Human Resources or not!"
"A really funny and interesting read .... great insight into the wierd and wonderful world of HR ..."
"Amusing and informative. A recommended read for anyone interested in a career in Human Resources. "
"Entertaining reading and one that anyone in the field of HR will be vale to instantly relate too! "
If you want an HR text book this book is probably not for you. If you want a unique insight into some of the weird and wonderful true stories that happened during a twenty year career in Human Resources it is.
free-job-descriptions.com provides a free database of job descriptions. Whether you are writing a job description, need to better understand a job, or are thinking abut your career, free-job-descriptions.com is for you
The successful candidate will need to have an excellent understanding of the Linux/Unix environment and be experienced using the command line. Extensive knowledge of standard system tools with the ability to use them to automate complex system tasks. Experience in a large networked environment with good understanding of network fundamentals is essential as is knowledge of network file systems and storage options.
Linux System Administrator Job Description
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
• Extensive knowledge and proven experience of installing and supporting many Linux distributions, specifically Debian and Ubuntu.
• Extensive knowledge of standard system tools with the ability to use them to automate complex system tasks.
• Extensive knowledge of physical networking and network protocols, services and security including: TCP-IP, Switching, Routing, VLAN’s, VoIP, DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Kerberos, NFS and Samba.
• Good understanding of file systems including ZFS and the various RAID options available.
• Experience installing and maintaining revision control systems including Git and Subversion.
• Knowledge and experience running apache web server software and related modules.
• Knowledge of other operating systems including Solaris, Mac OS X and Windows and how they interoperate would be an advantage.
• Understanding of the requirements of an active Research & Development department.
• Excellent customer service skills with the ability to deal with matters in a professional and friendly manner.
• Ability to apply analysis skills and problem-solving techniques to situations to provide fast and effective solutions.
• Good interpersonal, influencing and customer liaison skills together with a confident approach to difficult situations.
• Ability to prioritise workload effectively and work well under pressure.
• Ability to work on your own initiative.
• The ability to comprehend and communicate clearly and effectively on a wide range of technical issues with people at all levels.
• To be able to identify customers' requirements and recognise how best these may be met with available resources, timescales and skills.
• Experience of diagnosing and fixing technical problems across a variety of hardware platforms.
6. To occasionally work evenings and weekends to facilitate solutions when necessary, eg where downtime or deadlines demand.
7. To identify areas for improvement with a view to maintaining and enhancing the reliability, stability, integrity and security of the IT systems.
8. To document solutions and to ensure others are informed of changes and developments.
9. To ‘own’ problems and see them through to completion and keeping parties involved informed at all stages.
10. To attend liaison meetings as required to share information regarding IT changes and developments and to gather information about future needs of the projects.
Working as part of the IT team the Linux systems administrator will be responsible for day to day support of R&D’s systems and users as well as helping develop the tools and systems required by the R&D teams.
The Linux Systems Administrator will also play an essential role in the monitoring and management of the IT infrastructure and assets as well as ensuring compliance with security policies and software licensing.
Working closely with research project teams the role will provide support and advice across a broad range of IT, and where appropriate, to participate in and/or lead projects relating to research that would require the development of IT systems to achieve project goals.
1. Working as part of a small team the Linux Systems Administrator will have primary responsibility for the diagnosis and resolution of problems, within a timely manner and to a professional standard.
2. To Install and commission equipment to meet the needs of the project teams.
3. To provide technical advice and guidance to ensure effective solutions are delivered and can be integrated into the existing research platform from which the projects work.
4. To pro-actively highlight and address potential problems and investigate solutions in conjunction with the Head of Research Platforms and the rest of the IT support team.
5. To work as part of a close-knit team, encouraging the team ethic and the resulting synergy.