Browse by first letter of the job description
Please help us to keep this site free by liking us on Facebook. Click on the Facebook logo and click `like`-thanks
"The database of free job descriptions"
"I couldn`t put it down from start to finish...Some of these stories are fascinating, some sad and some just downright funny. I thoroughly recommended it anyone whether interested in Human Resources or not!"
"A really funny and interesting read .... great insight into the wierd and wonderful world of HR ..."
"Amusing and informative. A recommended read for anyone interested in a career in Human Resources. "
"Entertaining reading and one that anyone in the field of HR will be vale to instantly relate too! "
If you want an HR text book this book is probably not for you. If you want a unique insight into some of the weird and wonderful true stories that happened during a twenty year career in Human Resources it is.
ffree-job-descriptions.com provides a free database of real job descriptions for use in writing jd`s, recruitment and job search.
R&D Technologists carry out a wide range of work, including investigating the capabilities of new technologies, developing software or hardware systems, participating in technical standards work, and providing technical advice within their fields of expertise
Specific responsibilities for this job
In addition to the general responsibilities, your initial work will include the following specific areas:
Developing web services to provide access to R&D’s production technology systems (for example the Ingex tapeless recording system, see ingex.sourceforge.net), and to provide interoperability with other systems and tools used within the broadcast production community. These services will be based on a framework designed on RESTful principles adapted to the requirements of the community, which deals with very large media files, and real-time interaction. Where appropriate the services may be deployed as part of a cloud computing infrastructure.
Working with other technologists within R&D and other parts of the company on the ongoing specification and implementation of services that will be appropriate for our research activity and wider use. Providing support for company involvement in industry bodies addressing interoperability in media services.
Working with other technologists and with programme makers in the development, integration and testing of tools that use these services, for example tools running on portable devices to allow production team members to work with their content when off site, and tools for remote control and monitoring of recording systems.
Investigating other technologies to help collaboration working within production teams that are spread across multiple locations or multiple organisations.
General responsibilities for R&D Technologists
1. Devising innovative solutions to technical issues faced by the company — either for projects where there is an immediate need or for more speculative ‘blue-sky’ research projects.
2. Proposing possible methods and techniques for the project, innovating where necessary and exercising sound engineering judgement in recommending solutions.
3. Using the best available techniques for both the hardware and software content of project work — where necessary, developing the required technical skills through training and self-development.
4. Evaluating the aims and requirements for projects and preparing detailed specifications and project plans to meet those requirements, including estimates of resourcing required — both effort and expenditure.
5. Project planning with clear identification of timescales, milestones and expected deliverables.
6. Monitoring & reporting progress at an appropriate level of detail.
7. Carrying out the work in accordance with the project plan and within the estimated costs and resources.
Specific essential skills for this job
Experience in developing web services and clients, in particular using a RESTful approach, and ideally with experience of Linux/Apache/MySql/Python/Django and Java-based web services (JAX-RS).
Experience of software development with a significant video and audio element, in particular using formats used for television production; experience of using and developing applications for video and audio processing.
Experience of typical systems for broadcast production and post-production, and knowledge of techniques, processes and standards used by the production community.
Specific desirable skills for this job
Experience of cloud computing frameworks such as Amazon EC2/S3 and Eucalyptus.
Familiarity with the MXF media container, AAF data model and related tools.
Knowledge of application development for mobile platforms such as iOS/Cocoa and Android.
Experience of team-based software development, including tools for centralised/distributed source control management (SVN/Git), issue tracking (Trac/Jira), and continuous integration and testing (Hudson/JUnit); familiarity with Agile development methodology.
Experience of integrating different software systems from multiple research and development partners.
Generic requirements for R&D Technologist
1. Relevant experience, preferably in a research or development environment.
2. Knowledge of broadcast engineering techniques, including current standards and practices.
3. Awareness of emerging trends and developments in relevant technology.
4. Capable of highly original work together with an enquiring mind with well developed analytical and investigative skills.
5. The judgement necessary to choose the best solution to an engineering/IT problem.
6. Good written and oral communication skills, able to promote ideas by logical argument and capable of presenting the results of a project in a clear and effective manner.
7. Sound time and resource management skills and be able to lead, motivate and direct other staff and contractors contributing to the project.
8. Self-motivated, with the drive and initiative to carry out projects according to plan.
9. Able to use computers as research and development tools, preferably with knowledge and experience of writing and applying software.
10. Able to work as part of a team.
R&D Technologist Job description
8. Effective completion of projects — either through the transfer of skills and knowledge to other areas of the company or the delivery and hand-over of working systems to operational areas within the company.
9. Preparing appropriate documentation for the project — to record knowledge gained or technical documentation relevant to the development of specific systems.
10. Providing technical advice and consultancy both within Research and Development, to members of other company departments, and outside organisations on matters within your field of expertise — including participation within standardisation organisations and other professional bodies.
11. Overseeing the work of support staff assigned to the project, and ensuring adequate specification of work carried out by any external contractors.
12. Ensuring that at all times safe working practices are used.
13. Promoting the work and role of the department, both within and outside the company. Presenting papers describing your work and supporting presentations at specialist, national and international conferences etc.