Browse by first letter of the job description
Please help us to keep this site free by liking us on Facebook. Click on the Facebook logo and click `like`-thanks
"The database of free job descriptions"
"I couldn`t put it down from start to finish...Some of these stories are fascinating, some sad and some just downright funny. I thoroughly recommended it anyone whether interested in Human Resources or not!"
"A really funny and interesting read .... great insight into the wierd and wonderful world of HR ..."
"Amusing and informative. A recommended read for anyone interested in a career in Human Resources. "
"Entertaining reading and one that anyone in the field of HR will be vale to instantly relate too! "
If you want an HR text book this book is probably not for you. If you want a unique insight into some of the weird and wonderful true stories that happened during a twenty year career in Human Resources it is.
"I couldn`t put it down from start to finish...these stories are fascinating, some sad and some just downright funny. I thoroughly recommended it whether interested in HR or not!"
free-job-descriptions.com provides a free database of job descriptions. Whether you are writing a job description, need to better understand a job, or are thinking abut your career, free-job-descriptions.com is for you
Trainee Systems Administrator Windows Job Description
The IS Directorate supports a variety of host computer systems and applications across a substantial network for its user-base of some 4000+ staff. There is an ongoing systems implementation programme in the Organisation, which requires a skilled and dedicated IT team; support of existing systems is also a key role for the Department
The post holder will work as a junior member of the Server team, providing technical and administrative support to Organisation IT systems and networks. The post holder will be required to help maintain and support existing information systems and assist in the development of new systems. It is expected that the post holder will be engaged in a number of IM & T projects, where good project management skills will be required.
MAIN DUTIES – this is a training position, the post holder will be supervised throughout their work and the duties will be increased as skills grow.
1. Technical Support: Assist and help to co-ordinate the provision of second and third-line technical support for Windows Server, ISA Proxy, Systems Configuration Manager (SMS) 2007, Citrix
Presentation 5.0 & XenApp6.0, SQL 2000, 2005, 2008 and all versions of Microsoft Office to maintain and improve the operational effectiveness of the Organisation IT systems.
2. Server Configuration: Working with senior system administrator in Installation and maintenance ofWindows based server systems, hardware and software upgrades in line with Organisation standard.
3. Systems Administration: maintenance, upgrades, administration and documentation of server systems within the Organisation and perform regular housekeeping tasks on all major systems. This will include assisting in configuring and monitoring the backup processes on all servers, and carrying out restore operations as required after training.
needed for the CRS system.
10. The post holder as part of the team will produce regular weekly reports on capacity management,
anti-virus signatures in place and report any issues back to the Server Manager.
11. The post holder will manage the backup routines for the Organisation; this includes servers in other
locations and will ensure that documentation is held to record any downtime whether planned or
unplanned. In addition they will be responsible for storing all change control documentation when
This job description is intended as a general guide and the scope of the duties and responsibilities
may change with any future directional change in the information function of the Organisation. Such changes
are made in consultation with the post holder. The post will be reviewed and may be extended
depending upon the post holder’s ability to suit a changed role within the Information Technology field.
• A degree level education in computing or technical qualifications relating to information
• 1 years experience in an IT support setting.
• Some technical experience in assisting with server administration which includes the use of the following technologies: MS Windows 2000, 2003 & 2008 server, Windows 2000, XP, 7, Configuration Manager (SMS) or higher, ISAserver2000 or higher, Citrix Presentation 5.0/XenApp 6.0, VMware ESXi.
• Experience of using System Administration tools such as Hyena, Dameware or similar management tools to monitor performance and control security.
• Keen to learn new skills
• Positive attitude and team player
• Experience of using Active Directory
• Scripting and/or programming to aid the rollout of upgrades / system changes/registration updates
Skills & Knowledge
• A good understanding of some of the following:
Windows, Microsoft BackOffice Server, HP Data Protector, PC Hardware, UNIX, Oracle/SQL, Ethernet networking, LANs, WANs
• Can demonstrate fault fixing/troubleshooting skills.
• Is well organised and practical with a logical, analytical approach to problem solving.
• Pays careful attention to detail.
• Have good inter-personal skills and a team player.
• Have good oral communication skills.
4. Supplier liaison: Logging and monitoring progress of support calls with third-party maintenance contract suppliers. Assist in co-ordinating, monitoring and reporting performance of suppliers in terms of contract terms and value for money.
5. IM&T Security: assist in ensuring that the requirements of the IM&T Security Policy are adhered to, including password expiry, disaster recovery, closing security loopholes and access levels.
Reporting to the Server Manager all security-related events on the IT systems in the Organisation.
6. Procedures and documentation: working with senior system administrator to review and write as necessary, documentation for operational, system and user procedures and guidelines on all major supported Organisation systems.
7. Application development and support: The post holder will learn how to identify and implement IT solutions for systems in the Organisation, which include: VMware ESxi, SQL, HP Data protector, Webpage development and other in-house systems written in, Access, Visual Basic and HTML that improve working practices within the Organisation.
8. Customer Service: Ensure that support calls logged to the server team are handled effectively and efficiently in line with the departmental SLA.
9. The post holder will maintain the Data Collection Worksheet to capture all the technical information